Wednesday 15 February 2017

Let the sowing comence!

Well it is February the 13th and today I will start seed sowing. According to my new Charles Dowding diary, apart from a couple of crops like early brassica's broad beans and garlic, it is wise to hold off with the seed sowing until mid- February, or Valentine's Day. As we don't celebrate the traditional lovey dovey day, it is really nice to give it a new meaning-the start of the gardening year!
I know, I know, I am a day early, unfortunately am super busy on the day itself, I won't even be at home so hopefully one day early won't hurt!
The first job was to empty the kitchen windowsill,  that is the sunniest window, although it is westerly facing, so not that sunny, it is the best I can offer the little seedlings to be. Then to pull all the trays and modules out of the little shed and locate some plant labels was the second. Then onto filling the modules with compost. I actually really hate this bit, I had two little helpers though, my 2 and 3 year olds were eager to get there hands dirty and we got all the modules filled in super quick time. They also wanted to be included in the most exciting bit of all....... sowing the seeds! Today we sowed Onions, Sweet peppers, giant leafed parsley, lettuce and some flowers, ruderbeckia, dahlia and penstermon.
We actaully sowed 3 to 4 onions seeds in one module to test out planting them in clumps together, rather than individually.  Aparantly it work well with onions, beetroot and peas, so I am giving it a try this year.
I hadn't gotten around to buying any seed compost so used a bag of multi-purpose left over from last year. This seems to be a no-no but I am sure it will be fine. I may pixck up a bag of seed compost next time I am near a garden centre though!
Mybhusband would completely disagree, but it is a heart warming sight to walk into the kitchen and see all of those trays with the promise of a bountiful future harvest. I love having a peak every morning to see if there is any signs of life,  and it will only became more exciting next month with a huge sowing list, I cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment