Monday 13 February 2017

Hello 2017

Long time no post! Hello and a great big happy new year.
The plot hasn't seen a great deal of us since November really. I have been down to harvest leeks and sprouts every 2 or 3 weeks and had an afternoon spreading compost but that is about it, I cannot wait to get back to spending regular time at my favourite place in the world!

So, like many, I have spent the winter months planning , writing lists and working out timings for second crops. The seeds have been sorted through and some new ones purchased and my diary has been filled with sowing dates. I treated myself to Charles Dowdings Vegetable Garden Diary and will mainly be following his timing suggestions, after all, he has been doing this a while....  it is a lovely book and I really recommend it to anyone new to growing. Although I still need to mulch a few beds with compost before spring as well as a bit of weeding and tidying, I feel well prepared for the season ahead so that will be my main focus over the next month. (I will add my planting list and plans in another post for anyone interested in seeing them)

So far my list of big jobs for 2017 looks like this:
- finish re-supporting the fruit cage and build supports inside for raspberry canes.
-finish installing water butts and connect them all together.
-plant fruit tree's and build structure to fan train them.
-dig out and replant/dispose of raspberry canes.
-plant asparagus bed

I am sure it will rapidly grow though!

But for now, I will just have to be content with chitting the potato seeds and clearing the kitchen window ledge ready for the first sowings. Last year was so focused on clearing the plot that the actually sowing and growing was done on a wing and a prayer really,  I can't wait to focus on the actual produce this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment