Sunday 7 May 2017

Bean Teepee's!

2 of the 3 teepee's.
Today was the day I finally got to put up the bean teepee's, yay. Half way through the job was a really rubbish time to realise I will only fit 3 of the 4 planned teepees on the bed, meaning 20 less bean plants, eeek! It is even more annoying to realise I also need another 20-40 bean poles......... ah well, I will spent the next few days mulling over finding somewhere else to squeeze in 20 bean plants, or come to terms with the fact that 30 will do! I directly sowed 10 Czar seeds and 10 White lady seeds so fingers crossed they survive the birds and mice long enough to germinate, then grow quick enough to escape the slugs. The climbing french beans will get sown later in the month, apart from a few special ones that will be sown in root trainers and mollycoddled here at home beford planting out once they are nice and strong. I will try and remeber to post about them seperately. (Here it is http://strawberriesandcreamplot.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/charity-seeds.html )

I made a start on clearing the old brassica beds from last year, most of the plants have flowered and even though the bees are loving them, the time has come to start getting the beds ready for their next crop. I will have to buy a few more bags of compost to cover the ground. These areas never got covered earlier this year and the ground is like cement.
I also managed to have a real good tidy up today (because I snuck back down to the plot this evening, hurray for it being lighter again)I was so pleased to see lots of the flowers are starting to, errr, well, flower haha! And I seem to be winning the war of weeds for now. I will leave you with some pictures of the plot..........
First sweetpea flowering, these were sown from seed in October and over wintered in the little plastic greenhouse.

Pea's coming along nicely.

Wizard field beans, Flowering nicely and attracting many bee's. I can't wait to harvest these beauties.

Overview of plot 1

Overview of plot 2.


Flower bed next to the shed.

Close-up of Foxgloves beginning to flower. These were sown from seed last year!





No comments:

Post a Comment