Thursday 2 March 2017

Spring has sprung?

I definately got the spring feeling when I looked out of the window this morning, clear blue skies and sunshine, perfect.
My heart was telling me it was a seed sowing day. I grabbed my seed boxes and allotment folder (my garden bible really-to remind me ofhow much of what to sow when, I would get nowhere without it hehe) and got busy in the garden, with my littlest helper, 2 year old Emily.
Despite it being unexpectedly windy and having to chase a few seed packets around the garden, we sowed Dill, Globe Artichokes, Boltardy Beetroot, Quick heading calabrese and peas: Havel, Golden Sweet, Bijou and Rosakrone. We placed them all in the little blowaway greenhouse in the garden. Unfortunately despite multisowing a lot of the crops  I ran out of module trays, so I didn't manage to sow the Boddingtons Soup Peas (which I am growing to use as dried peas for use through the winter,  in meals like casseroles). I have now ordered a root trainer from Amazon especially for them, but I may need to have another look at the space I have available for seedlings and possibly start more seeds off directly in the ground than I had planned, especially once the seed sowing gets into full swing in April!
Whilst in the garden I had a peak at the Wizard beans I sowed a week ago but there is still no sign of germination yet. Maybe the windy weather has put them off!
I have managed to spend a good few hours weeding and tidying on the plot this past few weeks,  Storm Doris luckily left us damage free, another plot holder wasn't so lucky though and their shed ended up under a rather large tree! I am hoping to finish spreading compost over the weekend and possibly moving the rhubarb crowns that were given to us back in October. I wasn't quite ready to recieve them and just popped them in a spare but if earth. I have decided they are definitely in the wrong place and although it would have been best to move them about a month ago, I am hoping they will survive my ameture aproach of moving them now rather than waiting until next winter and delaying harvesting for another year!
It feels glorious to be getting a regular dose of allotment life again, how do we ever get through those cold, gloomy winter months?

No comments:

Post a Comment